|KEY INFOs >>
- A P4 Admin must create your profile and give you access before you are able to edit your profile.
- To have their stories / blogs /articles migrated from P3 credited in P4 authors must have the same P4 user ID / name of P3!
- For your Author Profile to appear on your Posts you must add a Bio, a profile image is optional.
- In case of Author Override (Create Posts > Author Override), the Author’s page will be linked only if you choose the name from the dropdown list of authors. If you write the name in the text field, the author’s name will be there, but it will not be clickable / linked to the author’s profile page…
Edit your Profile Image / Avatar
- Login to P4
- On top right of the page, click on “Edit my Profile”
You will access your user settings menu, where you can change the appearance of your WordPress console, add shortcuts, change your name and surname (you cannot change the username or the email!).
- TIP>> If you are managing multiple WordPress or P4 websites, different menu colours are super useful to quick realise which site you are working on.
- See the red menus of the snapshot below? It’s a colour scheme called “Sunrise“
You will also be able to change your Profile Picture, but not in the standard way.
- For security reasons, all Greenpeace accounts are connected to the organisation’s Identity Access Management (IAM), therefore profile images are connected to employees’ Google Accounts
- To edit your profile picture, click on Gravatar
- Click on “Create Your Own Gravatar“
- As mentioned, your Planet 4 Administrator should have created your WordPress profile, so no need to create a new one. Click on “Already have a WordPress.com Account? Log in now“
- Continue the registration with your Google Greenpeace Account
- Your Gravatar account is now linked to your Greenpeace Google Account. You can add or edit your profile image
- You can even upload multiple images and pick the one you like most
- Done? Click “My Profile” to check if everything is ok, then click “Save Profile”
- Go back to Planet 4, refresh and enjoy the new profile picture, you superstar you
Edit your Bio
You bio is editable directly in Planet 4 > Users > Your Profile > About Yourself.
- TIP! >> Want to add HTML to your bio? Since the Editor is not a classic WYSIWYG, you can add links using <code> :
- <a href=”YOURLINK”>your text</a>
- e.g <a href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>write us!</a>..
Translate your Bio (for multi-language sites)
For multi-language P4 sites, it is possible to translate authors’ bios:
1) Go to WPML’s > String Translation and add authors as translatable strings
2 ) Go to WPML’s > Theme and plugins localization. Scan the template for translatable strings, this should collect the authors strings for translation:
3) Go back to String Translation and edit the corresponding author bios:
4) Enjoy your new translation.
- KEY INFOs >>
- For the language switcher to show, the author must have written posts in both languages
- Authors should have their bios in both languages to appear
- if YOU translate a post to test this, remember to change the post’s author to the corresponding author, otherwise, the translated post will belong to “admin”, your user
Here’s also a snaggy .gif with the final result:
Check your profile!
You can always go to any post you wrote and check how your Bio at the bottom of the post looks. Like the guy below that thinks he’s the only one good at cooking peperonata
That’s how your profile description looks like in the piosts you created, if you add your picture and fill a Description in your P4 profile
Editing an Avatar for someone else
If an Editor cannot/will not change the Avatar themselves then an Admin can do it for them. The downside to this is their User account will no longer be associated with their personal email address and thusly they will no longer get email notifications for comments on their posts. We strongly encourage you to have the Editor update the Avatar themselves.
- As an Admin: To change an Editor’s Avatar you must use an email address to which you have access in order to complete this process (see step #10).
WP will not allow you to use the same email for multiple users. So as a Admin I would use, for example, my webmaster email + User’s Global ID e.g. email@example.com
- Go to the User Profile in P4 and generate a new WP PW
(don’t worry, the Editor should be using their Google/GP login, not WP. So you will not be locking them out)
- Make a note of this PW + the User Name of the Editor you are working on, then Update User/Save
- Sign out of P4
- Sign in as the User, using their User Name + the new PW you generated
- Go to ‘Profile’ in the left nav
- Click on “You can change your profile picture on Gravatar.”
- Sign in to Gravatar
- Click on ‘Add Email address’ and enter the new address you created in step #1
- Go to your email and click on the link to verify the new identity
- Go back to Gravatar
- Choose the email address you want to modify
- Click on ‘Add new image’
- Click on ‘Upload new’
- Click on ‘Choose image’
- Click on ‘Next’
- Crop/centre image
- Set rating (in case your Gravatar may not be suited for younger or sensitive audiences. ? )
- Select where (which email) you would like to use the image
- Return to P4 and refresh to confirm.
Links & Resources